The Junior Chamber Person (JCP) Program is an initiative modeled after the statewide Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs ‘Junior Council Person’ program which aims to get young people involved in their local communities. It allows for youth to take an active role in the business process of their community and brings a young, fresh perspective to Chambers across the state.
While the JCP does not have an official vote on Chamber, he or she does have a voice and an official seat at the table. It is a mutually beneficial relationship for both the chamber officials and the youth. It also allows chamber directors to serve as mentors to students who will be future leaders in their communities.
The Redbank Valley Chamber of Commerce JCP Program will allow high school students the opportunity to learn critical skills including team building and collaboration, public speaking, public engagement, budgeting, and running effective meetings. It also will allow the student the opportunity to deliberate on issues that are affecting his or her community.
The Redbank Valley Chamber’s JCP Program guidelines include:
- JCPs should be a resident of the Redbank Valley School District.
- The Chamber can have more than one JCP serving at a time.
- Junior and Senior High school students are encouraged to apply.
- Students should write a letter of interest to the Chamber outlining why they want to be a JCP.
- An interview process with Chamber members will occur.
- Once selected, the JCP should take the “Junior Chamber Person Pledge.”
- JCPs may be appointed to one-or two-year terms.
- Attendance will be required at monthly meetings which are held on at 12 noon on the 2nd Thursday of each month at the Redbank Valley Public Library.
- A Junior Chamber Person shall not receive compensation.
- JCPs should be seated with Chamber, participate in chamber-community events, and observe all Chamber rules.
- JCPs cannot vote or participate in executive session.
- Attendance at committee meetings and chamber-community events is encouraged.
- A Junior Chamber Person shall serve at the pleasure of Chamber and may be removed at any time, for any reason, at the discretion of Chamber.
- To earn the Distinguished JCP Award, the student should serve for a minimum of six months, having attended a majority of Chamber meetings.
For questions or more info, please call 814.275.3929 or visit: RedbankChamber.com/contact